For the women doing time alongside their inmates... This is our reality as well as theirs.

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Thoughts

Yesterday was Thanksgiving. I woke up in a wonderful mood, full of the holiday spirit. I drank my coffee, enjoyed the beautiful weather on my porch, and hung out with my cat before heading downtown to volunteer in a soup kitchen for the day. It was an eye opening experience. My man had suggested I do it a few weeks earlier when I was pondering what to do with my day off. I'd never volunteered for anything before, let alone on a holiday. But I like to follow his suggestions as it makes me feel closer to him, and so I went.  

I spent four hours helping the church set up and then serving the homeless Thanksgiving dinner. The food was not anything fancy, but it was hot and nourishing, and those I served were mighty glad to receive it. It gave me a warm feeling inside to see their faces light up as I smiled at them, and handed them a full plate. It made me realize just how lucky I am to live the life that I do, with my solid job, my small cozy apartment, and the ability to feed myself (and my man!) I was ashamed to think of those times in the last few months where I've broken down and felt so sorry for myself. I may not be rich, and I may not have my love home with me, but I am blessed in so many ways.

One man who shuffled in late, when the food was almost gone, was shaking like a leaf when I gave him his plate. I was almost positive he was a late term alcoholic. He was so thin that I was convinced only the shape of his clothing made him visible at all, and I recognized the tale tell signs of alcohol abuse from the way his reddened eyes peered out of his flushed face. Before he turned away to go eat, he nodded to me and said, "Bless you, child." 

There but for the grace of God, go I. Or my man. 

So yeah... things might not be perfect. Being so far away from my love is extremely hard, and we each have our own struggles in our everyday existence. But there are far worse things that could have happened to both of us. We have a roof over our heads, we have food to eat, friends and family who love us, hope for the future, and each other.

Case in point. Last night as I sat staring out at the stars, missing him so much that it hurt, the phone rang. It was him. I wasn't even supposed to be home- I had plans to go out to dinner with friends to celebrate the holiday but they were cancelled last minute. How did he know I would be there?

"I could feel it." He told me, laughing. And hearing that deep ferocious voice, I felt so incredibly thankful for everything in my life... especially him.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment