For the women doing time alongside their inmates... This is our reality as well as theirs.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dispelling the Myths- An Introduction

Yes, it's true, the love of my life is doing time. A lot of time. And I plan to stick with him through it- in fact, I have put every resource at my disposal towards lessening the time he does via a lengthy and expensive appeal. Fingers crossed!

I met my love before he went in. We dated briefly and were friends, and then he got himself in trouble. I corresponded with him while he was in county awaiting sentencing, and within six months, was visiting him at a state prison. We decided at that first visit that we were more than just friends, and we've been a couple ever since. I've been a prison girlfriend now for over a year and have learned to adapt to this strange new world I've stumbled into. I'll be a prison girlfriend for the full extent of his sentence, however long that ends up being, and when he comes home, I'll marry him and become his wife.

Those are the basics. I won't get into detail further than that- not on the length of his sentence, what he did to land himself there, or what state he's in. Those things really don't matter to the point of this blog.  What I'm creating this blog for is to dispel the myths surrounding the women of inmates and give my readers an inside glimpse into what this life is like, and who we women are. I think you will be surprised.

We're tougher than you think, smarter than you think, more loyal than you think, more successful and educated than you think. We love harder and believe stronger and are self contained power houses. We hold our men down in a world that is often brutal and always corrupt. We are a force unto ourselves, and contrary to popular belief, we do not suffer from lack of self esteem or self worth. We know very well who we are and what we are worth.

In my following posts, I will give you a glimpse of a world few people know or understand.  It's very easy to make assumptions when you are unfamiliar with the reality. I challenge any of you to maintain your current judgements on either inmates, or their women, once you have followed this blog for a while. That world is both more and less than what you think it is.

So come in, get comfortable, and welcome to the world of loving an inmate.

2 comments:

  1. You surprise me. I want to learn more about your experiences and the thoughts that carry you through this obstacle. How do you maintain such faith? How far will your commitment to both him and yourself take you? I want to understand such things. What does love look like in your eyes?

    Y.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your obvious passion, plus the beautiful quality of your writing, definitely help dispel my assumptions about women who love inmates. I'm curious as to what your world is like.

    ReplyDelete